At Avigilon we are helping solve some of the biggest challenges around safety and physical security by developing advanced artificial intelligence (AI) technologies and products that are used to help keep people, businesses, and cities around the world safer. Avigilon, a Motorola Solutions company, designs, develops, and manufactures advanced AI, video analytics, network video management software and hardware, surveillance cameras, and access control solutions that help change the way people interact with their security systems.
Founded in 2004 in Vancouver, Avigilon has been a driving force behind the security industry’s AI evolution and has continuously been a company that stands for innovation and growth. At Avigilon, you will find a culture of thought-leaders who are passionate about creating exciting new solutions for security and surveillance. We seek problem-solvers who are eager to rise to the challenges of a continuously evolving technological industry, and those who want to make an impact of the safety of people and businesses globally.
Relates to: Legal Department
The IP Counsel will be a key member of Avigilon’s Intellectual Property team and Legal Department. The individual’s primary responsibility will be to provide timely, responsive and proactive advice and support in relation to the maintenance, development, and protection of Avigilon’s patent, trademark and industrial design portfolios.
- Primary responsibilities include:
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications
- Working with our Product Development team to identify novel technologies developed by Avigilon
- Working with our Patent Committee to facilitate informed business decision making
- Conducting patent searches, infringement analysis and claim charting
- Where necessary, engaging and working with external legal counsel to assist with the development and protection of Avigilon’s IP assets, while managing the relationship to ensure efficiency, cost-effectiveness and a solid work product
- Secondary or general responsibilities include:
- Supporting the day-to-day activities of Avigilon’s Patent Licensing Program and Innovation Program including invention disclosure processing
- Working with other members of the Legal Department to review and assess IP-related issues in the context of commercial contracts, product documentation, disclosure documents, marketing materials, and other corporate documents
- Due diligence on potential acquisitions of IP assets
- Identifying, assessing and resolving applicable legal issues independently and providing effective, timely and implementable solutions
- Proactively monitoring and advising on legal developments that may impact our business and help set strategic objectives
- Bachelor of Laws/Juris Doctorate/Bachelor of Civil Laws, call to the Bar of a Canadian jurisdiction
- Member in good standing with applicable provincial/territorial Law Society
- Undergraduate degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant field
- Registered Patent Agent with CIPO (or actively pursuing that accreditation)
- Registered practitioner qualified to practice directly before the USPTO will be considered an asset
- Minimum of 2-5 years of relevant experience acquired in a top-tier patent agency/law firm or tech company
- US patent litigation and/or post-issuance proceedings experience will be considered an asset
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Ability to exercise good judgment of when to escalate issues
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (oral and written)
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, and ability to manage multiple priorities
- Strong research and analytical skills, detail oriented, and ability to make sound legal recommendations
Perks and Benefits:
As a full-time employee at Avigilon, you are eligible to receive a comprehensive benefits package which includes MSP, extended health, dental and medical insurance while travelling. You will also receive a health spending account to cover additional healthcare costs, such as vision care, RMT and chiropractor visits.