Legal Counsel, Licensing
Avigilon (TSX: AVO) provides trusted security solutions to the global market. Avigilon designs, develops, and manufactures video analytics, network video management software and hardware, surveillance cameras, and access control solutions. Avigilon’s solutions have been installed at thousands of customer sites, including school campuses, transportation systems, healthcare centers, public venues, critical infrastructure, prisons, factories, casinos, airports, financial institutions, government facilities, and retailers.
Report to: Senior Counsel, Licensing
Relates to: Legal Department
Job Location: Vancouver, Canada
Legal Counsel, Licensing will be a key member of Avigilon’s Licensing team and Legal Department. The individual’s primary responsibility will be to provide timely, responsive and proactive legal advice and support in relation to the operation of the Avigilon Patent License Program. Furthermore, as a member of Avigilon’s Legal Department, the individual may also be involved with providing timely, responsive and proactive legal advice and support to Avigilon’s other business units on a broad range of corporate, commercial and employment matters relating to our operations.
- Specifically in relation to the operation of the Licensing team and the Avigilon Patent License Program:
- Preparing, reviewing and finalizing all legal documents related to the operation of the Avigilon Patent License Program including term sheets, non-disclosure agreements, and patent license agreements.
- Supporting the Licensing team’s efforts in respect of targeting, evaluating, and pursuing potential licensees.
- Supporting the Licensing team’s efforts to resolve any disputes with licensees.
- Where necessary, engaging and working with external legal counsel, while managing the relationship to ensure efficiency, cost-effectiveness and a solid work product.
- More generally in relation to the operation of the Legal Department (inclusive of the Licensing team):
- Being a key legal resource for Avigilon’s global operations and providing legal advice and support on operational, sales, partner-relations, employment, and other matters.
- Where necessary, engaging and working with external legal counsel to assist with the assessment and resolution of legal issues, while managing the relationship to ensure efficiency, cost-effectiveness and a solid work product.
- Proactively monitoring and advising on legal developments that may impact our business and help set strategic objectives.
- Preparing and reviewing legal documents including commercial contracts, services agreements, partner agreements, confidentiality agreements, and internal policies and procedures.
- Identifying, assessing and resolving applicable legal issues independently and providing effective, timely and implementable solutions.
- 2 to 5 years of business law experience at a top-tier law firm or in-house at a leading company.
- Excellent contract drafting and reviewing skills a must.
- Excellent negotiation skills a must.
- Transactional experience would be an asset.
- IP or licensing experience would be an asset.
- Bachelor of Laws/Juris Doctorate, call to the Bar of a Canadian jurisdiction.
- Member in good standing with applicable provincial/territorial Law Society.
- Ability to exercise good judgment of when to escalate issues.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills (oral and written).
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong research and analytical skills, detail oriented, and ability to make sound legal recommendations.
Perks and Benefits:
As a full-time employee at Avigilon, you are eligible to receive a comprehensive benefits package which includes MSP, extended health, dental, medical insurance while travelling, and the opportunity to participate in the Employee Share Purchase Plan (ESPP). You will also receive a health spending account to cover additional healthcare costs, such as vision care, RMT and chiropractor visits.